Tuesday, June 16

Unofficial benefit

The policy at Joann Fabrics (I work there) is to write-off and discard all damaged fabric and all pieces that are under six inches. As I'm making a log cabin quilt with one inch strips (what is wrong with me??), I feel like this is a horrible horrible waste.

If, however, you happen to be on shift and notice fabric pieces as they are about to be written off and the manager goes for it, you can buy them (at a great discount, too). Which is how I came into possession of the above fabrics.


I made this draw string bag from some "tutti frutti" fabric (I disapprove of that name) that wasn't crinkled. I'm pretty sure I found the ribbon on the ground, but I can't remember anymore.

One aspect in my grand scheme of craft room organization is to put all of my projects into bags like these that can be hung (once I get some hooks...). This one is housing the one inch strips for my log cabin quilt.

I'll still have to have boxes or shelves for the finished blocks, because I want them to stay flat.



You may be wondering how you can get in on these great discount scraps. Well unless you notice scraps before they're written off you can't. You can always ask, however we are not allowed to give or sell you stuff out of the trash.

I've submitted a request that Joann sells these scraps as grab bags. If you'd like to submit a request as well, I would love it if you also left a comment telling me you did so.


Possible Sample Message:

I know that you're policy is to throw away damaged fabric or fabric is that is smaller than six inches. However, I would like to be able to buy these fabric scraps. You could sell them as grab bags that are pre-filled by employees, or bins that customers could choose from. Besides recovering profit from product you currently throw away, you could also use this as a chance to green your image.

2 comments:

98126res said...

hi there,
i would've left a comment at joann's but pressed for time, your link goes to their home page, not leave a comment page. will do later, maybe that's the only link you can provide? much appreciate the "sample" text you gave though and totally agree with you.

allie aller said...

Your quilting adventures are such fun to follow.
You need those shelves! But the bag/hooks idea is great.

Quilters have been known to buy cardboard pizza boxes from the delivery pizza shops (unused, of course)to store their blocks in. Keeps them flat and organized....50 cents apiece, too....